Fatehpur Sikri is a small town located 45 km from Agra. It has a beautiful Fatehpur Sikri Fort built by Emperor Akbar in 1571. Fatehpur Sikri was close to Akbar’s heart as it was a birth place of his son Jahangir and residence place of Sufi Salim Chisti. From 1571 to 1585 It serves as a Capital to Emperor Akbar, later abandoned completely because of some reasons mentioned at bottom of this Blog.
History, Architecture of Fatehpur Sikri Fort :
This place has a interesting story behind it’s construction. As Akbar has no Son and he was in a grief from the death of its two infant son from Mariam-uz-zamani.
A Sufi saint Sheikh Salim Chisti was very famous for his deity powers in Fatehpur Sikri. Akbar asked to pray for him. He agreed and later Jahangir was born in village of Sikri in 1569. Akbar was very impressed and became his follower.
To Honor the Saint Sheikh Salim Chisti he build a religious compound and offered him to stay with him in Agra, which he ultimately Denied.
Fatehpur Sikri construction was completed during Akbar’s Gujrat Campaign in 1573. So to commemorate it’s victory, He named it Fatehpur Sikri means City of Victory. He also constructed Buland Darwaza the highest gate of India during that time to mark his huge Victory.
Due to plenty of Redstone availability in neighborhood area, Fatehpur Sikri Fort is completely made up of Red sandstone and is surrounded by Huge Walls to protect it from Outsiders.
Some Interesting Information about Fatehpur Sikri :
- After Jahangir Birth, Akbar asked Saint Salim Chisti to Stay with him in Agra, but he refused. Ultimately Akbar built a whole fort to stay with Sheikh Salim Chisti. People Still visiting his Dargah to fulfill their wishes.
- Due to lack of Water and Drought, Emperor loses its interest and abandoned it.
- One more story was, Sufi Salim Chisti was fed up with the disturbance of Crowd at Fatehpur Sikri. So, he asked Emperor that Only one Person can live in this city. To honor Sufi Salim Chisti, Akbar left Fatehpur Sikri.
There are several places to see inside Fatehpur Sikri like :
- Buland Darwaza – This is the main entrance of Fatehpur Sikri Fort. This gate used to be the Highest Gate of India in Height. This entrance takes you straight to Sheikh Salim Chisti Dargah.
- Tomb of Sheikh Salim Chisti – He is the main saint who predicted the birth of Jahangir. His grave is decorated with White marbles surrounded by rounded domes.
- Diwan-i-aam – Hall of Public Hearing, this is a big size place, where king used to listen Public hearings and local problems.
- Diwan-e-khas – Hall of Private Hearing, This is a secret place used used by king and courtesans to gather for private hearings. It has a octagonal pillar in the middle of a Hall, and is beautiful decorate with Geometric patterns, floral designs etc. This middle pillar is connected via stone walkaways.
- Panch Mahal – This is a Five storey Open palace supported by 176 pillars. Top floor is covered with Dome. This palace was used by Royal Queen’s and Haram Ladies. King used to enjoy his Private timings with his special ladies at this place.
Interesting Facts about Fatehpur Sikri :
- Akbar built this City to Commemorate his victory of Gujrat.
- Akbar named it ‘Fatehabad’ which later becomes ‘fatehpur sikri’.
- Fatehpur Sikri was the First Planned city of Mughals.
- Due to Drought and shortage of Water, Mughal emperor left this Fort and shifted to Agra.
- After abandoning, this place was used for Hunting grounds.
- ‘Buland Darwaza’ was the highest gate in the history of India.
- Sheikh Salim Chisti Dargah is Still visited by local People.
My Personal Experience with ‘Fatehpur Sikri’ –
- Fatehpur Sikri Fort is located 45 kms from Agra City. It is a beautiful Fort with lots of Palaces inside, It can consume your Whole Day. Variety of Palaces inside will give you a glimpse of early Mughal Architecture. If you are Photo enthusiast or History lover then you will definitely love this place.
TIPS TO VISIT ‘FATEHPUR SIKRI FORT’ :
- Take Taxi/Auto to reach this place. Nowadays OLA (Rs. 50 Discount Code – 2X2R2KU) or UBER services are available.
- There are plenty of Food places nearby in Fatehpur Sikri Town.
- No Food items, drugs, alcohol etc is allowed inside premises. Better to Eat and Relieve yourself before entering.
- Water or Loo Facility is Available inside the Tomb Area.
- It is best to visit the city by evening and stay there until sunset. The place becomes more photogenic during sunset. The setting sun adds vibrant colors to the red sandstone walls.
- When it comes to weather, it is better to avoid summers and monsoon. The best time to visit the place is during winter. Winter starts in October and ends in March.
- The nearest airport to Fatehpur Sikri is located in Agra, 40 km away from it. The nearest railway station is located inside the city. Fatehpur Sikri railway station has regular train services from Agra.
- If you are looking for common options, choose to fly or reach Agra via road transportation and hire bus or private taxi from Agra to Fatehpur Sikri.
- Timings of Fatehpur Sikri Fort : 6 a.m to 6 p.m
- Book Online Tickets to Avoid Line and Get 5% Instant Discount.
- Book Entry Tickets Here..
Thanks for visiting this website and I look forward to helping you to travel more. I am eagerly waiting for your Comments and Suggestions below.
P.S. – If you still want to know more, Read my Other blog here