Taj Mahal means “crown of palace”, It was built by Shahjahan for his beloved Wife Mumtaj and took 20 years for completion. A Journey to INDIA is incomplete without visiting Taj Mahal. Taj Mahal is one of the seven Wonder of the World. This Place is so unique and beautiful, that millions of people visit this every year. It is very popular among new couples and Lovers.
History, Architecture of Taj Mahal :
Taj Mahal was commissioned by Shahjahan in 1632 and completed in 1653. It took 20+ years and 20000 peasants to finish this magnificent palace. It was made from White marbles and red sandstone. Beautiful Inlay work is done throughout the Taj Mahal. White Marbles, Red Sandstone and other valuable Jewels, stones were brought from all over the World. Majority of them were brought from Rajasthan.
Shahjahan and Mumtaj Mahal were buried here in the middle of Centrepiece. As per the Mughal Tomb tradition there is Copy of Tomb on First Floor and Original is in Basement. Original Grave opens only during Shahjahan Urs. Ticket entry is FREE during that time.
Mumtaj Mahal was first buried at Burhanpur, where she died. When Shah Jahan chose this place for construction of Taj Mahal, she was again finally buried here.
Taj Mahal was the Death Wish of Mumtaj Mahal, as the wanted to have most beautiful Tomb in the World. Shah Jahan Called thousands of Artist and artisans from all over the world for it’s construction. It is situated along Yamuna River and cost 32 Crore during that time.
Taj Mahal is closed on Friday for Juma Prayers inside Mosque by Local People.
Taj Mahal was completed as per the design executed by Ustad Ahmad Lahori and Ustad Abdul Kareem. It is a Replica of a House of a Mumtaj Mahal in Paradise. Taj Mahal has three main Gates, East Gate, West Gate and South Gate. East Gate is more popular gate among foreign tourist.
It is finest example of Indo Islamic Art, as Mumtaj Mahal was persian, you will see lot’s of Persian architecture inside the Taj Mahal. Taj Mahal is spread in 42 acres of Land . It has four minarets at four side, which are tilted outwards to save Taj Mahal during Earthquake.
Taj Mahal has a Special White Marbles from Makrana, Rajasthan. Due to it’s crystal form they shine in Sunlight. A zig zag pattern of 3d illusion is also present at pillars of Taj Mahal.
During Sunrise, Taj Mahal starts changing it’s color because of White Marbles. From Blackish Color to Reddish then ultimately Pearl White.
Taj Mahal was originally built by Red Bricks which was plastered with White Marbles (Makrana, Rajasthan). 99 names of Allah is mentioned just outside the Grave Gate. Quran scriptures is beautifully engraved on White marbles.
Inside Taj Mahal complex area , there is Mosque in Left Side and Guest House on right side, both building share the same architecture of Red Sandstone. A small museum is also present at Left side before Mosque, where Old Maps, Pictures of Taj Mahal is present.
Crazy Facts about Taj Mahal :
- Taj Mahal was completed in 20 Years with the help of 20000 peasants from different parts of world.
- Shahjahan didn’t cut off Hands of Labors.
- Black Taj Mahal was a Fake Story.
- There is NO tunnel between Taj Mahal and Agra Fort.
- Queen Mumtaj died while giving birth to 14th Child.
- It is one of the seven wonder of the world.
- Shahjahan was captured in Agra fort by his Son Aurangzeb because he spent all the money from treasure to built Taj Mahal.
- Shahjahan used to Come to Taj Mahal by Boat from Agra Fort.
- Taj Mahal was built over Yamuna River sand, with the help of Wooden Pillars at the base.
- Taj Mahal could be collapsed in Future as Water Flow in River is Less as compare to requirement.
- During World War 2, 1965, 1971 and 1999 kargil war, Taj Mahal was covered with Bushes and Bamboos to avoid Fighter planes.
My Personal Experience :
I have been to Taj Mahal multiple times as I am running Rhine Guest House (15 min. walking distance) near to it. But whenever I visit this beautiful mausoleum in the World, I found it more attractive and beautiful. It looks same from all sides. If you are photographer then this place is heaven, best time is Sunrise to avoid crowd. You should visit Guest House and little museum inside.
TIPS FOR TAJ MAHAL :
- Sunrise is best time to Visit to avoid Crowd, upto 30000 people visit per day.
- Try Visiting Weekdays, Weekends are Always FULL (Waiting Line upto 4 hours).
- It is located Close to Agra Fort could be reach by any vehicle.
- It is located just 1 km from Agra Fort.
- The Taj Mahal Timings : 6 a.m to 6 p.m
- Winters are preferable because of weather. During summers and rainfall it becomes humid as temperature goes upto 48 degree.
- Security is very tight here, heavy bags, eatable items, knife, drugs, alcohol, cigarette is not allowed inside. We suggest you to go through latest rule from https://www.tajmahal.gov.in
- Drinking Water or Loo Facility is Available inside Taj Mahal.
- Taj Mahal is closed on Friday for Muslim Prayers but Other Tourist Places remain open all week (as of 2020).
- Take Taxi/Auto to reach this place. Nowadays OLA (Rs. 50 Discount Code – 2X2R2KU) or UBER services are available.
- Taj Mahal Entry Ticket Price : INDIAN – Rs 250 FOREIGNERS – 1300
- Address : Taj Mahal, Dharmapuri, Forest Colony, Tajganj, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282001
Thanks for visiting this website and I look forward to helping you to travel more. I am eagerly waiting for your Comments and Suggestions below.
P.S. – If you still want to know more, Read my Other blog here