Baby Taj is a finest example of early Mughal Architecture. White marbles and inlay colorful stones were used to embark her beauty. When you enter inside you will find its similarity to Taj Mahal, which is just 1.5 km from it.
Baby Taj or Itimad-ud-daulah serves as a inspiration for many Mughals mausoleum like Akbar, Jahangir, Shahjahan etc. You can also see the influence of Persian Architecture on Mughal Architectural Style at this place.
History, Architecture of Itimad-ud-daulah (Baby Taj) :
Baby Taj or Itimad-ud-daulah is a mausoleum built by Nurjahan (Wife of Emperor Jahangir) for his Father Mirza Ghiyas Beg in the year 1622-1628 and got completed in 5 years. Mirza ghiyas beg was a persian noble. Once he visited a Mughal court and later became a court member. He was a treasurer during Akbar rule.
Nurjahan has a administrative skills, which help her to take responsibilities in court. Which caught attention to Jahangir, later they got married. Jahangir made Itimad-ud-daulah his prime minister during his tenure.
Itimad-ud-daulah died in 1622, his daughter planned to build a Marble structure in the memory of him, this building resembles a Jewel Box in the middle of Lush Green Garden.
The Gardens are square in shape, represents the view of Paradise. Itimad-ud-daulah Tomb is located symmetrically in the middle of four quadrants along with fountains. Each quadrants represents the sea of Paradise.
Do you know? Nurjahan was the mother of Shahjahan (builder of Taj Mahal). She built this beautiful Baby Taj at the banks of Yamuna River. Later all families members of Queen Noor Jahan were buried there.
Inside the main Chamber your will find the graves of itimad–ud-daula and Asmat begum, this is the biggest hall decorated with beautiful Flowers, pots, persian style art on Wall. This is the best place to see the early inlay marble work in Agra. As others monuments like Taj Mahal and Agra Fort has closed public entrance in Inlay Marble work area.
Some Interesting Information about Itimad-ud-Daulah (Baby Taj) :
- Most of the people don’t know about Baby Taj or hearing it first time here, as when they think of AGRA only Taj Mahal comes in their mind, but their are various beautiful monument like Baby Taj, Mehtab Bagh, Agra Fort, Sikandra, Ram Bagh, Fatehpur sikri etc. Agra is like a 3 day destination if you want to explore completely.
- It’s main gate is located on the highway, so you can easily park your vehicle on road and all food shops is next door. It is a must place after visiting Taj Mahal, although it is small in size but looks fabulous if you go deeply in colorful decor work.
- Just like Taj Mahal it’s shape looks similar from all sides. It is preferable to visit in Early Sunrise or Sunset to get the perfect view. Itimad-ud-Daulah tomb is surrounded by beautiful garden enrich with different colorful flowers.
Crazy Facts about Baby Taj or Itimad-ud-Daulah Tomb :
- Tomb Itimad-ud-Daulah is also known as ‘Baby Taj Mahal’.
- Foreigners find it difficult to Pronounce ‘Itimad-ud-daulah’, so they nicknamed it “Baby Taj”.
- Baby Taj was the First mughal Structure made from White Marble, the first to make use of Pietra Dura art.
- Itimad-ud-daulah is First Mughal Tomb along River Yamuna.
- It has a ‘Jewel Box’ like structure surrounded by Four Octagonal Gardens.
- Baby Taj was built by ‘Nur Jahan’, Daughter of Itimad-ud-daulah.
My Personal Experience with “Baby Taj” –
This White Tomb is a perfect example of early Pietra Dura Artwork on White Marbles. There is not much security inside, you can Touch the Walls and feel the artistic work on it. I have been there at Sunset, Due to it’s non popularity, it remains less crowded.
TIPS TO VISIT “ITIMAD-UD-DAULAH” :
- Although Taj Mahal is closed on Friday but Baby Taj remain open all week (as of 2020).
- October to March is the best time to see Itimad-ud-daulah, During April to September temperature is usually high from 30 degree to 48 degree. Dehydration problem is very common here in summer. But incase you are coming visit at Sunset time.
- BABY TAJ OPENING TIME : 6 a.m to 6 p.m ( Sunrise to Sunset )
- Security is very tight here, heavy bags, eatable items, knife, drugs, alcohol, cigarette is not allowed inside. We suggest you to go through latest rule from https://www.tajmahal.gov.in
- Drinking Water or Loo Facility is NOT Available inside the Tomb Area.
- Small tea or Food restaurants are located just next to this building. Gas Station/ATM is also nearby.
- Baby Taj Entrance Fee’s – Indian – Rs 30 , Foreigners – Rs 310
- Book Online Tickets to Avoid Line and Get 5% Instant Discount.
- Book Entry Tickets Here..
Thanks for visiting this website and I look forward to helping you to travel more. I am eagerly waiting for your Comments and Suggestions below.
P.S. – If you still want to know more, Read my Other blog here